Eat Your Veggies January 16, 2008Posted by smooregasbord in Food.
Over the holidays, I was looking for a side dish to take to a family gathering. I wanted something different since I knew the standards would be there: mac & cheese, corn, sweet potatoes. I came across this recipe from Tyler Florence, who is also a native of my home state, SC, and thought I would give it a try. Before you go bustin’ on the brussels sprouts, just know that the addition of pancetta and garlic render a great flavor. If you’ve never had brussels sprouts, then this recipe would probably ensure that you become a fan. It got raves from my family!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
• 2 lb. brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
• ¼ lb. pancetta, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 2 tbsp chicken broth
• ½ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
• ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 425°F. In large bowl toss brussels sprouts with pancetta, garlic, and olive oil.
2. Spread vegetables in single layer in 15″ x 10″ x 2″ baking dish. Roast for 25 minutes or until brussels sprouts are fork-tender.
3. Stir in balsamic vinegar and chicken broth. Sprinkle with panko. Return to oven for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Note: I used whole wheat panko in my recipe and it was delicious.